One of the most effective strategies for getting through the pandemic is putting more time and attention into self-care. Being extra kind to yourself and creating habits that nurture your body, mind and spirit can be a real life-saver against the backdrop of day-to-day stresses exacerbated by Covid-inspired social distancing, isolation, fear, anxiety, or grief. So, please, do things for yourself that make your body feel better, bring a sense of calm to your mind and raise your spirits.
One simple yet very powerful habit you can cultivate for overall health and wellness is drinking plenty of water and other beneficial drinks. People who are well-hydrated have less pain. Good hydration helps clear our bodies of toxins.
Here are some additional benefits for your body:
- Clearer skin
- Fresher breath
- Increased blood volume and oxygenation for your body
- Temperature regulation
- Well lubricated joints
- Higher energy levels
- Boosted metabolism
And some for your mind:
- Improved memory
- Stabilized moods
- Improved productivity
- Reduced mental fog
How to Bring it Home
Even though it’s common sense to drink plenty, it can still be a challenge to do this. We hope that some of these ideas give you some inspiration and some tangible ways to make it easier to get your 6 (for women) to 8 (for men) pints per day. Individuals’ needs vary, so make note of the color of your urine – very pale yellow and you’re doing a great job with staying hydrated. Darker? Drink more!
- Introduce variety to stave off boredom – Plain water can get boring. Put it on ice or add some fizz – if it’s more refreshing you’re more inclined to drink it down. A slice of fruit, a handful of fresh herbs, a slice of raw cucumber is one of our favorites….any of these can add a refreshing change of pace. Hot herbal tea is hydrating too. Drink it hot, or let it cool down, either way your body will thank you. Consider adding a low or no sugar electrolyte or flavor packet.
- Prepare “drink snacks” in the morning to enjoy all day long – Take some time in the morning or the start of your day to set yourself up for success. Prepare a variety of drinks for the day. You can track your consumption with ease to make sure you’re drinking enough, and you’re more likely to drink your beverages if they’re ready. An added benefit: you have an easy grab and go beverage bottle to take with you – a great way to ensure you always have access. It may also remind you to keep drinking all day long.
- Eat more hydrating foods – Not all of your fluids have to come from drinks. Think produce here – raw or cooked veggies and fruits contain lots of water, the juicier the better for staying hydrated. Adding more soups and broths to your meals is another great way to bring more fluids into your diet.
- Set reminders and create space in your day for water wellness breaks – Use your phone, watch or computer to offer up a reminder every hour. Treat yourself to tea time – a daily practice of sipping tea and looking outside or sitting quietly and enjoying some full deep breaths between swallows.
We take a broad view of health and wellness at our clinic – this is one of the foundational principles of our integrative medicine approach. We support our patients with an entire spectrum of treatments, supplements and healing practices. At Satori Integrative Medicine Clinic, we specialize in treatment of: major depression, the depressed phase of bipolar disorder (bipolar depression), postpartum depression, anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), pain syndromes such as fibromyalgia and complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS), also known as reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD), and addiction. If you or someone you know suffers from any of these conditions and this approach to health and wellness resonates with you, please contact us for more information.